1-16-09

Top five things I can’t believe right now:
1. I have a blog. I’m a blogger. Enough said.
2. How ridiculously cold it is outside. It’s not just your typical chilly winter in Iowa, it’s record-setting. School was cancelled because of the cold last night at 5:00 - unheard of. Right now with the sun shining and minimal wind it’s a balmy -8°F (-24°F wind chill). And just my luck, it’s supposed to warm up tomorrow. Which brings me to the next unbelievable aspect of my life ..
3. At 2:00 tomorrow, I will be on a plane to España! I’ve known I would study abroad there for what seems like ages but I can’t believe it’s really happening in less than 24 hours. My bags are packed (mostly..) and all that’s left is my good-byes. Easier said than done! Tonight is my big send-off; I can hear mom downstairs preparing for dinner and creating our beautiful Americana themed tablescape. J The whole family will be here and Rob is on his way from Kansas City. I’m going to miss everyone so much! I can’t worry about it too much now though because I’ll have plenty of time for that in the next 4 months.
4. A few weeks ago Mom, Dad, and I finalized our Spring Break plans, or so we thought. Dad won a Jones trip to Sorrento, Italy so we planned on meeting there (April 4-10) during my break which was going to be perfect! Then Verónica sent out a tentative schedule for the semester and wouldn’t you know it, our Morocco trip is April 2-7. 1. Awesome.
5. Even more awesome: An AirBus jet leaving LaGuardia today hit a flock of birds that took out both engines, the pilot made an emergency landing in the Hudson River and thankfully all 150 passengers survived. I’m not usually nervous about flying but this would make anyone a little anxious. I mean, how many emergency response teams are there in the middle of the ocean? Then to make it better, Mandy says, “Hey, at least you’re not travelling by boat – have you heard about all the pirates lately?” Actually, yes I have and yes I will be travelling by boat between Spain and Morocco, which is not the safest water to begin with! We always have adventures and lots of crazy stories travelling (flying over a hurricane, bombings, pneumonia, etc.) but hopefully mine won’t be so eventful this time.

My mailing address: (hint, hint)
Tammy Peter
Central College
Centro de Lenguas Modernas
Placeta del Hospico Viejo, s/n
18009 Granada, Spain

Phone number
(011) 34-958-220-592