1-25-09

Sunday, January 25, 2009

It was pretty tough to get out of bed this morning, so comfy and warm! Got up, did my hair, put on my new shirt and ring and headed to the meeting place. (which, by the way is beautiful – a huge fountain with plants all around it) We were split into two groups so it was only half of us today. Luckily we “coger-ed” a bus up to the Alhambra and didn’t have to hike like we have been. It’s so tough for me to get used to using the verb coger but they say it here ALL the time, but in the rest of the Spanish-speaking world it means the f- word! Anyway, we got there and Aurelio guided through the most frequently visited site in all Europe. It was absolutely gorgeous even in the rain. It sprinkled on and off the whole time, but when we were at the reflecting pool the sun shone bright and the skies were blue! After our tour we had lunch in the Generalife while it was really raining. I can’t really describe my visit and the pictures don’t do it justice so I think I’ll just have to stop with one word: amazing. We walked back down and encountered our first gypsies who were handing out rosemary and would offer to tell your fortune but then make you pay. I guess coins are bad luck which means you end up paying at least €5 for some “free” rosemary and a palm reading. Luckily they didn’t say anything to us and we just kept walking. We browsed through a couple more souvenir shops and I got a good deal on some postcards so I picked up a bunch. We were still hungry so we also made a stop at the cutest little shop near our house for some sweets. I had chocolate ice cream and it was delicious! When we got back I called about my luggage and the lady couldn’t tell me anything. Basically, they’re still waiting for the airport to tell the airline that they don’t have it… yippee. I’m really feeling like it’s never going to arrive which gets me down in the dumps. I found out that they’ll reimburse you for €100 the first night and €50 every night thereafter but no more than €350 total. They probably won’t give money for my jewelry or ice cream but maybe we’ll go shopping because I’m in desperate need of jeans. Anyway, I’m heading over to the internet place to talk to Mom and Dad and maybe figure out plans for Spring Break!