1-23-09

Friday, January 23, 2009

We met at the “meeting place” at 10:00 and started walking to Sacromonte. It was raining the whole time and it was a lot farther than we thought it would be. After the hike, we took some pictures (even though it was really foggy from the rain) and headed inside. We got to explore a little bit and had a quick tour – she was kind of hard to understand though so I didn’t totally get what everything was. We saw the sanctuary, some rooms, and then went down into the catacombs. There was a rock in there that if you kiss you’ll supposedly get married in the next year, but it only comes true if you do it in February. Kind of like the Blarney Stone J After our walk down we checked out some really good souvenir shops but since I was already in the hole I didn’t get anything. Came back and had a great lunch – pureed vegetable soup, baguette, salad, and an orange. My tastes have definitely changed! I love the salad she makes and it’s so simple, just olive oil and vinegar, tomatoes, carrots, and salt. I think the reason I like the food here is partially because all of the produce and bread is so fresh. Anyway, then we walked back to class and it had stopped raining…finally! Class was fine, it’s interesting to learn about how much different the language (and culture) is here compared to Mexico and our teachers do a good job, you can tell they’ve worked with American students quite a bit. We stuck around to use the computers for a while then headed back. After a so-so dinner we met up with Penny and Jenny who live down the street from us then went to the Centro to hang out. I wanted to check on my luggage so we went to the Hotel Meliá, but no such luck (of course). They even showed me their luggage holding area so I know for sure that it’s not there. We caught up with Morgan then went to Café fútbol and hung out for a while. We had churros y chocolate and a round of tapas – mmm! It was good to hang out with some different people and get to know them a little better. We walked by Penny and Jenny’s place to see where they live and it’s not really as close as we thought.