2-24-09

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Happy birthday Taylor!!
Got up, got ready, and went to class. Lit is soooo boring - I know I say it every time but it´s true! If I didn´t need it I would drop it in a flash. The worst part is that she´s my only prof who doesn´t take attendance so I´m edging close to that slippery slope.. Anyway, between lit and art I did a little shopping - bought myself a UGR (University of Granada) hooded sweatshirt that I´m really exicted about, then finished my birthday shopping for Taylor. I ¨rented¨a couple books from Verónica (students from past semesters leave them behind - wish I would´ve known she did that before I bought a book for her) then got two bags of her favoite candies, and a potted flower for our balcony! They´re called margarita flowers but white and pink daisy mums is the best way I can describe them. She was home when I got there so I shut the door and quick arranged her presents then gave them to her. She was pretty happy I think :) We went to class then back home for lunch. Man, today was a lot of walking! Julia was so pumped about her special meal she had prepared and said that we have to celebrate birthdays big! I guess Francisco studied in Switzerland or somewhere for a while and his host family made his day really special and because she was so thankful as a mom she does it for all her ¨niñas¨that stay in her house too. She made this zucchini purée soup thing that was surprisingly good and stuffed red peppers that were delicious! They had the same béchamel that´s in the croquetas and some sort of meat - it looked like ground beef but tasted a little different. She had a special tablescape if you will, with a flowery tablecloth, a candle, fancy silverware, and pretty glasses that she put the napkins in just like Mom does :) The best part was at the end - the cake. It was special ordered from the ¨best pastelería in Granada¨ and she put 19 regular candles on it with one special gold striped candle in the middle. We sang (after practicing for a week or so every time Taylor was out of the house) and I punished my slice. I could tell that she went to a lot of work preparing the meal, not only because she told me a couple weeks in advance but because she was so proud of it! She put on a sweater and some fancy earrings and insisted that we take pictures - how sweet is she! I´m so excited to have more cake tonight after dinner .. we never have dessert! Unfortunately, it was time to come back to the CLM for POE, another break, then French and Granada Seminar. Came home for dinner then went out to Paddy´s for Taylor´s birthday. Whew - what a long day!

PS I just got an email from Verónica with the finalized list for the Morocco trip and I´m definitely going to be able to go to Italy without any more flight changing - yay!!