Sunday, February 8, 2009
Happy birthday Dad! And Cory! Woke up at 5:00 and walked to the train station (people were still out from the night before) and left for Paris around 7:30. Long ride, slept for over 3 hours! The weather changed drastically back and forth from rain, sun, lots of snow on the ground, then one place where there was lots of ice on the track which made weird noises and I felt like Laura on a plane J Got in around 12:15, went into the Metro the wrong way (stupid signs, it was not our fault this time) so we snuck in behind a dad and his little boy who started at us. Bad example but we paid, and it’s so easy to cheat the system! Anyway, went to the hostel and got a private room this time for only a couple Euros more. Sat outside a café next to our hostel and picked up their wireless. Then we went to a little café by the Louvre for lunch and to hang out. Treated myself to a Minute Maid “tropical” juice and we split a crepe with chocolate, bananas, and whipped cream. Mmmm. Of course in true Tam & Dad fashion I went straight for the whipped cream first, happy birthday! Got ready to give him a call when I found out I had a voicemail from him – ran down to the pay phone and got to talk for a while but got cut off because it ran out L He sounded good and I was so happy to talk, he even said he’s waiting to have ice cream cake until I get home! It was also Taylor’s Grandpa’s birthday today and her Mom’s tomorrow, what a coincidence. Settled into our room then went to the Musée d’Orsay. It was cool and had lots more unique works. Still sick of naked people though. Monet, Degas, Manet, Cezanne, etc. These were some of the painters who were turned away from the Louvre and are now there! Went to the grocery store to get cheap dinner again and came back to our room to eat. Went again to get internet but it zapped my battery and I couldn’t charge it. Called home again and this time everyone was there – yay! It was so fun to talk to them J Tried to call Rob but I didn’t have enough left to complete the call, ugh. I feel spoiled saying this but I’m totally ready to go home right now. At least back to Granada but Ankeny would be better! Traveling is so much fun but it’s exhausting and makes me miss the comfort of home.