4-10-09

Friday, April 10, 2009

My alarm went off at 3:00 am which wasn’t a pleasant experience – the first number on my alarm has been below a 7 WAY too many times in the last week. We got our stuff together then went down to the lobby. I grabbed juice and a couple pastries then we jumped on the bus to the airport around 3:45. The airport was totally empty when we got there, even all of the check-in counters were closed. I had a good laugh at one couple who had entirely too much stuff – they were trying to jam everything in, weigh it, then reconfigure their luggage. I can’t believe I can travel with just a backpack now – I’m so proud of myself :) When it was time for Mom and Dad to go though security, it was so sad to say goodbye – I hadn’t spent near enough time with them yet! I gave them both a big squeeze and watched them leave from a bench that became my new home for the next 12 hours. I laid down and actually slept for quite a while, probably until 10:00 when I went down and tried to check in for my 1:15 flight. I wandered around for a while then got checked in, went through security, did a little shopping, ate my Doritos, and did some more sitting. Unfortunately the flight was delayed until 4:00 but when I was checking the board I ran into a couple young Jones guys. They were brothers and were extending their trip to go to Madrid for a few days so I hung out with them until it was time to board. We were talking forever about all kinds of stuff and when I mentioned that not everyone I’ve met this semester is particularly fond of Americans they both agreed that, “It’s because they’re jealous.” Hmm.. I don’t think so! Get this, on their way there in the Barajas airport they saw Rafael Nadal and showed me the picture they took with him – SO jealous! You better believe that every trip after that I had my eyes peeled for celebrities in that airport.
Fortunately I had a huge layover in Madrid so I was in no danger of missing my connecting flight to Granada. Even with the extra flight, leaving from Granada is 1029843 times better than Madrid. I was grouchy and hungry so I gave in and had McDonald’s since nothing else sounded good – bad choice. I didn’t feel so hot after enjoying what the “Euro menu” had to offer. I really thought the Kit-Kat McFlurry would be scrumptious but it wasn’t mixed and was about 60% straight caramel. Anyway, I got on my next flight then jumped on the airport bus. On the way back I fought so hard to stay awake and lucky I was the last stop because my eyes were definitely closed for a while. We had to take a different route because of the Semana Santa processions and when I got off I was a little turned around and ended up walking across the street in the wrong direction. I got back home, said hi to Julia and crashed!