4-12-09

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter!! I woke up and had breakfast then tried to feel out whether they would be going to church/inviting me along. It didn’t really seem like it so I got dressed up and went to mass at the main cathedral. I hadn’t been in there yet and it was really pretty on the inside. I guess it’s different from the other cathedrals because it’s so white and airy inside. I was surprised that there weren’t very many people there but I guess that’s typical of Spaniards – they’re creyentes pero no practicantes (believers but they don’t practice it, not even Christmas or Easter). I had a little trouble with the “Catholic-ness” of the service – repeat after me, up, down, turn around, you know the drill. There were some American students sitting in front of me so I sort of followed their lead the whole time. I was also surprised that it was so short – only 40 minutes. I walked outside and there were tons of people around (and bleachers set up in the plaza) but I just assumed they were waiting for the next mass to begin which was at 1:00. I was walking down Reyes Catolicos and I ran into Katie, Brigitte, and Janelle. They were out watching some processions and told me the campanilla one was still going on and that’s what was probably happening around the cathedral. I really wanted to see that one so I turned around and went back. The imagen is Christ as a child and kids are the ones underneath carrying it. Kids ring these cute little clay bells as it goes by then it enters the cathedral for mass. There were tons of people around so I couldn’t see it very well but oh well.
I came back for lunch and the only thing I remember eating was the milky french toast that was delish. During lunch we watched the mass that was going on at the cathedral and saw part of the procession. I was a little confused why the family didn’t go to an Easter service but they could all recite the prayers and did so out loud along with the TV. I loved that they could help me understand everything a little better and I was less hesitant to ask questions. After mass was over Mundi, Rafa, Sylvia, and I went to a procession that left the church right by the librería on C/ Bruselas. The weather was much better and there were TONS of women in beautiful lace veils, black suits, white gloves, and big peinetas. Some went without shoes because they made a promise with God and he fulfilled his end of the deal so this is how they repay him. I even saw a shoeless man under the imágen – wow.
When we got back Taylor was home from Ireland so we caught up a big then I went to the Protestant church with Mitch. First I had to say goodbye to Juli’s family since they were taking off before I would be home. There were tons of CLM (especially Central) students at the service and it was nice to have something non-catholic for a change. They even played one of my favorite songs and it’s just as good in Spanish. Came home for dinner, then I called home! Everyone was over at Mom and Dad’s for lunch so I got to talk for quite a while. Can’t wait to get home..