4-8-09

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Woke up and had a big delicious breakfast at the hotel with a great view from the huge picture windows. We decided to spend the day along the Amalfi Coast so we jumped on a bus and headed out. The scenery from the bus was probably my favorite part – it was absolutely gorgeous! Of course I couldn’t get a good picture but I definitely tried my hardest. The road was so narrow with REALLY steep drop-offs; it sort of reminded me of what I imagine Greece to be like. Actually, I think the whole trip made me think that. So we stopped at Amalfi first and went through the cathedral during mass, took some pictures, and played around on the big rocks. The water was such a pretty blue/teal color – different from the Coasta de Sol. We watched some kayakers play catch with a ball for a while and got some gelato. When we were waiting for the next bus we overheard people talking about how there were aftershocks the night before in Naples! We had turned off CNN because we were always getting bad news but apparently we couldn’t escape it.. So we hopped on the bus and stopped at Ravello after another ridiculous bus ride. For almost half of the trip it was a one-lane road with blind corners so the driver had to honk continuously. Sometimes there was even reversing involved and only centimeters between cars.. at least they didn’t play bumper cars like Spaniards! We saw some little secluded beaches and lots of lemons which were covered.
Our next stop was Ravello which was just as pretty. Postcard picture perfect like the rest of the Amalfi Coast. We decided that one of the reasons it was so beautiful is because there weren’t any waves – the ocean was totally calm. I got a little frustrated with the lack of quality of my pictures so I snapped a shot of Mom’s book which looked exactly like what we were seeing. Don’t tell J We wandered around the town and I climbed on some Roman ruins – typical. On the bus ride back we debated on whether or not to stop at Positano but decided to skip it. I think it’s because I kept nodding off even though I was trying so hard to stay awake!
When we got back to Sorrento we went through the gardens again and decided that the pretty purple one that smells so good is wisteria. I love it – there some hanging outside of Garabatos that I pass every day in Granada. We went to a place called Foreigner’s Club (appropriately named) which had a great view of the port. When we got back to the hotel we called the girls and Grandma Peter – so fun! I’m so glad Jones gave us free phonecards so I could talk to everyone for a little while. I’m sure they were all concerned about us with the earthquake and all, and we were concerned about Grandma with the heart situation and all! I was going to go swimming with Dad but sat down to journal first and ended up falling asleep at 7:30. I woke up around 10:30, took a shower and went right back to sleep until the next morning!