4-25-09

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Woke up after 11 wonderful hours of sleep and got ready for hiking. We met at Plaza Isabel la Católica where we found out Brittney forgot her passport and couldn’t go to Barcelona. Whoa.. She wasn’t even upset about it either! The group that went was Taylor, Jeff, Megan and Erin, Nick, Lisa, Audrey, Brittney, and me led by Verónica, Aida, and two guys. We went up past the Alhambra, through an olive grove, and to a recreation area with an awesome view. We could see the whole city and all of its pueblos, the snowy peaks, and Sacro-Monte. We wound down around the other side, through a neighborhood of Granada I’d never seen before, and then ended up around the park behind CCA 2. Afterwards Jeff, Nick, Taylor and I went for tapas with Verónica and the two guys and we met up with a couple and their daughter. It was a cute place with the best tapas I’ve had so far – vegetable curry with bread. She even paid! Taylor and I had our bocadillos and oranges outside of Chikito, a cute little café. It’s in between Plaza Mariana Pineda and Puerta Real and has lots of big trees and a fountain. It’s one of my favorite spots in Granada I think – I guess that doesn’t say much though, since I have a ton of those. We watched a little boy chasing pigeons and a lady painting on a canvas while trying to feed lunch to her two sons. So cute! After that we walked back and lounged around. Taylor napped and I read about half of a book that I keep meaning to start. At night Taylor, Mitch, and I went to the little pizza place by our house “Voy Volando”. We had two cheese pizzas and even thought it wasn’t the best, it was good enough! It definitely made me hungry for some Papa John’s! Actually, any American pizza will do. After that, we met up with Jeff and went back to the tapas place we went for lunch and had another good tapa – ribs in barbeque sauce with bread. Not as good as lunch, but it held its place as one of my favorite places. After that we headed to Hannigan’s to watch the Valencia vs. Barcelona game. Some American guys next to us had their laptop and were following the NFL draft. Man, I feel so far removed from American culture sometimes!