Wednesday, May 20, 2009
I rolled over this morning and my first thought was, “this is my last real day in Granada.” So obviously even though I didn’t have to madrugar this morning I was wide awake at 9:00. We had breakfast then I hung around typing up journal entries until lunch. I finally finished though so I’m caught up all the way until today – finally! I can’t believe that it took me this long .. I just got a text from Jeff that said, “getting on the plane :( what are you guys doing today?” and I couldn’t respond – heartbreaking. Ughhh I’m so depressed!
Before lunch I finally got dressed for the day and gave Mom a call. She was so happy to talk to me :) Too bad Dad wasn’t home, but it was good to hear from her. We used up the rest of her phone card but I’m keeping a few minutes on mine just in case. I keep saying this but I go up and down with excitement and misery and this was definitely excitement about coming home! I can’t wait to see everyone and I know they’ll all be really good about helping me adjust since they’ve all been abroad and Laura knows exactly what I’ll be going through. Ahhh I can’t wait!
We had our last special lunch with Juli Juli today – lomito with garlic, star soup with chicken, and strawberries… yum!! It was SOOO good. After lunch I got my stuff together and went to the CLM to post my blogs and check my email one last time. It’s a scorcher out today – I am absolutely sweating in a polo and capris, disgusting!
This will be my last entry until I’m home so until then, hasta luego! :) 16 ½ hour, 5000 mile trip here I come!
********
So I’d like to start by laughing at the fact that I really thought my journey would only be 16 ½ hours.. come on, we all knew it would be much much more. (that’s even including the time change which took 7 hours off my total so it was technically almost 24 to begin with)
After I finished my last post I did a little more shopping. I went to the shops by the Alhambra and the Alcaicería and got a few souvenirs for friends/family and just a couple for myself :) I went by one of my favorite heladerías and ran into a bunch of girls from my program just out and enjoying their last afternoons in Granada. I got to say goodbye to a couple of them but the rest I’ll see again.
After that I went to the theatre to meet Taylor for our movie date. Turns out that on Wednesdays movies are only €3 so we opted for the matinee. We’d never heard of the movie we went to, Nunca es tarde para enamorarse, but it was pretty good. It’s an American movie and I think it’s called Last Chance Harvey in English. Either way there weren’t any subtitles but It was pretty slow and there wasn’t anything super exciting but that was good because we could understand it better.
We came back and I finished up some packing (I had to stuff what I just bought into my bags .. a little trickier than I predicted it to be) I had my one big rolling suitcase and the small duffle that fits on top of it and they were both bulging. I fit all of my papers, glass, and heavy stuff into the small bag and it was unbelievably full – it wouldn’t even sit on top of my other bag, it kept tipping it over.
We had dinner – sanguis (grilled cheese with ham), cold tortilla, salad, and bread then got ready/showered and met up with Mitchelly. On our way to the Centro (for the last time…!) we discussed where we should go or what we should do because we weren’t super hungry, we didn’t have much money left, and our phones were pretty useless. Finally Mitch said he had an idea but wouldn’t tell us because it was a surprise so we followed him to Navas 14, the first tapas place we went to – how cute! As we sat enjoying our last tapa we talked about all of the good times we’ve had and what we were about to face in the next two days. Bittersweet, I’d say. I wanted a picture (like usual) so I made Taylor ask the guy at the table behind us because I heard them talking English. Anyway, she finally asked and this loud, boisterous guy turns around and after snapping one for us he started asking us where we were from. Turns out he’s from Ottumwa (so is Mitch) and just got a job there as a Spanish teacher but he’s here to improve his skills and is staying in the same house as Ashley was in all semester – how crazy! I was really surprised at his ridiculous southern accent…
After Navas 14 we went to the “blue place” aka our favorite tapas bar that’s owned by some Brits. We finally got the best little room with the silk pillows and comfy couches! We’ve been waiting all semester for that.. (well, since we discovered the place actually). The walk home was so sad, I can’t even describe it. We were all pretty quiet and were probably thinking the same things. When we got home I finished some more packing then set my bags in the entryway so I didn’t wake up the neighbors before dawn. Taylor and I sat in her bed watching her video – WOW. I think I was laughing and crying at the same time, it’s tough to explain the smilefrown but I know a few people who understand it pretty well. I finally crawled under my own covers and we were just giggling and talking when Juli came in to shhh us and turn off the lights like we were little campers. Ohhh Julia, how I will miss you :(